Mould Inspections, Mould Testing & Laboratory Analysis
You can have confidence when you choose Mycologia because we are Australia’s only Mould Consultants with an integrated management system incorporating the principles of ISO9001 and ISO14001 and AS4801 for our inspection Protocols, Testing Procedures and Laboratory Practices.
When you choose us you are engaging Australia's industry leaders in Mould Investigations, Mould Assessment, Laboratory Analysis and Mould Removal.
You can see this in both of our industry guidelines “The Australian Mould Guideline” and “The Mould Workers Handbook” are highly regarded internationally as best practice manuals.
6 Easy Ways To Be Mould Free
- Check for moisture damage after storms and fix problems and dry out any water damage immediately.
- Check for plumbing leaks especially in bathrooms, kitchens and laundries; fix the leaks and dry out the water damage.
- Don't store wet or mouldy materials indoors (food scraps, rubbish, swimming or wet weather gear).
- Ventilate moisture to the outdoors (cooking, clothes drying, steam cleaning).
- Keep your carpets and bedding clean (use a HEPA Vacuum cleaner).
- Flush your house out with warm dry air whenever you can.
Your Mould Experts
Your Mould Experts have undergone extensive training and we only send you an inspector or an assessor with years of experience in either IAQ, Mould Consulting or high grade Mould Remediation Work.
Your particular situation will determine the best range of methods and techniques to your unique problem. For example, there is no point in you paying for surface mould testing and full fungal identification on a small patch of mould in a wet area such as a bathroom. We can tell you right now with 95% plus surety that the black mould on your bathroom wall is Aspergillus Niger.
Your Mould Inspection Services
We start your mould investigation at the right level for your situation to save you unnecessary and expensive testing and investigative costs.
For example, if you have multiple people complaining or reacting to mould odours, then you need go direct to a Detailed Mould Investigation ASAP to get the right results so you can take the right actions as quick as possible.
The following list of Mould Inspection Services is given in a generally ascending scale from simple procedures to complex and involved investigation methods.
ASSESSMENT, INSPECTION & TESTING
Your Initial Mould Assessment
- Yes or No – Is it mould or not. An experienced Mould Assessor can tell you instantly if you have a mould problem or not.
- Most mould problems can be identified by an experienced Mould Investigator by a visual inspection.
- Likely sources of moisture are easily identified, the extent of visible mould growth is established, and odours, water stains and other indicators are easily found.
Surface Scanning of Moisture Levels
- Our moisture meters have a quick scanning mode to quickly detect high moisture levels in walls floors and ceiling.
Moisture Content in Building Materials
- Our Moisture meters also have penetrating moisture probes to quickly measure the internal moisture content of any building materials.
- This will assess if the building material can be successfully dried (non-porous) or removal and replaced with new (porous).
Relative Humidity & Dew Point Measurements
- In a water damage situation the moisture content of the air is in direct relationship to the moisture content in the building materials.
- Measuring and tracking the moisture content in the air and the building materials simultaneously lets us manage the mechanical drying to make sure all moisture is stripped out of your building materials.
Air and Surface Sampling
- Simple and Quick Surface Tape or Impact Tape Air Samples
- Quick 48 hour turnaround on Surface and Air Sample Analysis
- Detects all living and dead fungal particles to give total spore count
- Laboratory Analysis
- Written Report
DETAILED MOULD INVESTIGATION
Airborne Sampling to Detect Mould Growth
- Viable Sampling to determine Mould Species that are actively growing
- Sample analysis takes up to 7 days due to incubation time
- Provides detailed information on the Species Origin, Potential Health implications, nutritional requirements, likely sources, amount of water damage, how long ago the water damage was.
- Gives detailed information on how to best remediate the type of fungal growth that is present.
Surface Sampling to Detect Mould Growth
- Same as above for Air Samples
Penetrating Moisture Testing
- The probes we used for moisture testing normally penetrate up to 1 cm and we occasionally need to use a Hammer Probe or even deeper concrete probes to measure to the core of a building material.
- We always seek your permission before taking deep moisture probes as this testing can require drilling of holes in concrete floor slabs and masonry walls etc.
- Infrared light or thermography is the use of an infrared imaging and measurement camera to "see" and "measure", what our eyes cannot, by producing images of invisible infrared or "heat" radiation.
- This is used to detect areas that are colder than the surrounding environment to show water damage and plumbing leaks.
Borescope Inspection of Hidden Building Cavities
- Borescopes are used for visual inspection work in areas that are inaccessible by other means.
- Normally only a small hole is required to inspect building cavities for hidden mould growth and water damage.
- Nearly all our testing methods are non-destructive, but occasionally we need to remove material to access hidden areas or to take samples away for further analysis.
- We only do this with your permission of course.
Air-Conditioning System Inspections
Air Conditioning Unit Inspection (Domestic)
- Your Air Conditioner is very efficient at trapping airborne particles. However, these need to be cleaned away every now and then.
- If you have a "swampy" or evaporative types use lots of water to cool the air and the materials use for evaporation and the drainage systems needs to be checked for blockages and mould and algae growth.
- Air filters need to be check to make sure they are not clogged so they allow air to pass through them. Blocked filters cause excess electricity, poor airflow and can even cause air to bypass around them and let the dust particle damage you internal surfaces.
- Your cooling coils (and your heating coils) need to be checked to make sure they are not clogged so they can work properly.
- Mould and bacteria can build up on many of the internal components and these need to be assessed to make sure the unit is hygienically clean and not cause poor indoor air quality.
Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) System Inspection (Commercial)
- Large HVAC systems have walk in chambers that allow for easy access and inspection. However, we rarely see systems that are well maintained.
- Air filtration media is often poorly fitted allowing unfiltered air to bypass and damage the internal surfaces.
- Cooling coils are not cleaned regularly and build up with dirt and debris and mould growth.
- Drainage tray and floor drains are often blocked and allow stagnant water to remain in the chambers.
- Perforated wall and ceiling lining become moisture damaged and can harbor hidden mould growth and constantly releasing spores into the air stream.
- Outdoor air intakes are often poorly designed and allow wind driven rain to wet the filters causing them to go mouldy.
- Return air chambers are often clogged with particulate matter creating in the building.
Scope of Works and Project Management
Detailed Scope of Works
- If you are going to self-manage your mould remediation job then you will need a Scope of Works to keep the contractors on Purpose and on schedule and will help avoid expensive scope creep.
- A scope of works (SOW) is a formal document that defines the work activities, the deliverables, and timeline that must be executed when contracted to do specified work for a client.
- A SOW usually includes detailed requirements and pricing, with standard regulatory and governance terms and conditions.
- The SOW should include the Purpose, Location, Period of Performance, Deliverables Schedule, Applicable Standards, and the Type of Contract or Payment Schedule.
- If your mould remediation job is too large to self-manage, then our experience in project management, plus our detialed scope of works, allows you the confidence that your job will get done on time and on budget.
Advice on OHS issues and PPE for dealing with mouldy buildings
- There are a number of simple measures that you can put in place to ensure that no-one is unnecessarily exposed to a mould problem.
- While there are very few laws that govern mould in Australia, there is an increasing number of successful mould litigation cases going through our courts.
- We often end up as expertness and we know the legal mould landscape very well.
- You can rely on our advice to help you through the most difficult of situations.
Materials Testing Research for Industry