5 MYTHS ABOUT MOULD

 

MYTH # 1  BLEACH KILLS MOULD

We all know how to get rid of mould in our house, right? Just pour some bleach on it and it goes away, until the next time that you need to pour bleach on it again.

Most chemicals have been proven to be ineffective against mould in the long run. The widespread use of chemicals fails to correct the original reason why the mould grew there in the first place. It also introduces additional air pollution into the indoor air.

Specifically, bleach has a high pH which makes it ineffective to kill mould.  The mould detects the bleach as a chemical attack and defends itself with exo-enzymes and a good defending membrane.

The exo-enzymes makes the chlorine compounds in the bleach inert which then the fungi uses it as a food source.  So when we put bleach on mould we are actually feeding it.  Visually it looks like the mould is disappearing because bleach “bleaches” which means it strips the melanin compounds out of the hyphal membrane (just like the melanin in our skin when we get a sun tan).

Three weeks later the fungi hyphae recovers the melanin content and the mould becomes visible again so it was actually never gone.

See our new Scientific research into why Bleach should be avoided and why it doesn't kill mould

 

 

MYTH # 2  MOULD CAN ONLY GROW WHERE IT IS WET

While mould may initially need moisture to start growing, the substrate can then completely dry out but the mould can still grow because it can takes moisture directly out of the ambient air.

For the mould to die off from de-hydration, the ambient air would need to have less than 4% relative humidity.

These levels can only be reached artificially by using a desiccant or a dehumidifier.

 

MYTH # 3   DRYING OUT THE MOISTURE MAKES THE MOULD GO AWAY

The only solution to reducing and/or eliminating the mould is to fix the source of moisture (leaking pipe, shower recess, etc.), dry the substrate and then physically agitate the surface using a microfibre cloth and a mould cleaning solution (we use 80% vinegar solution) to remove remaining mould.

Simply drying the substrate with fan blowers and dehumidifiers may slow the progression of growth, but the mould contaminants are still present which could possibly be aerosolised in to the air causing an allergic reaction and more importantly is also able to off gas myco-toxins.

 

MYTH # 4   A MOULDY MUSTY SMELL IS AN INDICATION OF MOULD GROWTH

This is only partially right as the mouldy musty smell comes from MVOCs (Microbial Volatile Organic Compounds) containing long chained alcohols, aldehydes and ketones.

Often with this smell we also have secondary metabolites emitted (some of which are mycotoxins) so the mouldy musty smell itself is not toxic however it is a good indication that mycotoxin off-gassing may be occurring.

 


MYTH # 5   YOU DON’T NEED TO DO ANY TESTING

You can only clean up a mould problem properly if you know how widespread the mould is. 

Mould Worx includes sampling and moisture testing as part of estimating the work, so no extra costs. We need this information for clearance testing to make sure we have done the job right. Contact Us for Free advice ...

Most of the mould is actually invisible so like with the tip of an iceberg, the black or green stuff we can see is just a very small portion of the mould.  Most of the mould is hyaline (see through) and not visible to the naked eye.  Failure to clean up the entire mould can result in re-growth.  So before you do any cleaning it is important to find out the source and how widespread the mould contamination is, and then with a proper scope of works, protecting yourself and avoiding cross contamination, the clean-up can start.

 The only proven way to deal with mould is to:

  1. Find the source of the moisture and fix it,
  2. Dry out the water damaged areas,
  3. Physically remove the mould using a HEPA Vacuum cleaner, a cloth and Mould Cleaning Solution

Mould Cleaning solutions only work in the right dilutions. The most effective cleaning solution that we have against mould so far is our favourite salad dressing - vinegar. This is claimed to be the most effective because it actually kills mould, but doesn't introduce a new chemical pollutant into the indoor air. Vinegar is even used by some European hospitals as one of their main disinfectants.

 A point of note is that only white fermented vinegar seems to work, as synthetic acetic acid does not appear to be effective. Diluted alcohol or methylated spirits is another effective mould killer, but there are a number of issues concerning its storage, handling, OHS, PPE, duty of care and its effects on some surfaces that make it difficult to recommend as a widespread mould killer.